Monday, November 22, 2010

Beware: Another Modus Operandi in Malls

Here's something I got from my email today from a certain Jennifer Don of Chinabank. I'm posting this in it's entirety. It won't hurt to be aware.

Dear Family and Friends,
 

This happened to me (Jennifer) early this afternoon at Makati SM. Because 
I wasn't aware of this new modus operandi, only by the grace of God I did not
become another victim!

I was walking along the ground floor between the supermarket and the

department store when walking toward me was a rather neat-looking
middle aged man, all smiles. When he was in front of me he reached out to
shake my hand and at the same time he kissed me on both cheeks! (YAK!)
He was carrying a black Missal and a Bible. Taken by surprise and trying to
recall who he was (I thought he surely must be a friend I hadn't seen for a
while and had now forgotten. I was embarrassed to ask his name!) He
started talking almost without a pause saying he had just came from the
Greenbelt Chapel where he had served at their noon Mass. He told me he
was now a "full time lay Minister".

Then he told me "Si Papa may stage 4 cancer" and he wasn't expected to

last through this night; that right now Monsignor Bacani was sitting with
him by his hospital bed and tonight they were planning to take him to the
Archbishop's Palace for the wake. (I thought - but he isn't dead yet!)
But they needed money to pay for his final morphine shot and dextrose
as he was in much pain.

Could I please lend him P5,000? All this time he was holding my right

hand. I said I didn't have any money on me. He then asked for even a few
hundreds just to help. Now finally becoming aware of his intention, I again
said I didn't have money at all. He finally let go of my hand.

My two rings were still on my fingers. They were a bit tight to put on and to

remove.

While this man was talking and looking at me, my eyes were wondering as

I am wont to do when I am trying to remember something - a habit. I sort of
try to push my eyes up into my brains to help me remember.

Later while waiting at the Meralco "Senior Citizens" room I chatted up

an elderly lady seated beside me and recounted my experience. She was
surprised that I wasn't aware of this latest scam. Usually the man will stare
into his victim's eyes and manage to hypnotize her to empty her wallet for
him. Other instances he makes the hypnotized victim walk to an ATM and
withdraw money to hand over to him.

Her aunt had been victimized by what appears to be the same man from

our matching descriptions.

He is between 40 and 50 years old, about  5'8" to 5'10", neat looking,

kayumanggi, carrying a Missal and Bible. He always kisses his victims
so people around would not suspect a crime was in progress.

If you are approached (and kissed) please do not look into this man's

eyes when he is telling his story. It's only my bad habit of "rolling
my eyes" when I am in deep thought that saved me.

Please inform family and friends so this modus operandi will come to an

end!

Thank You.


Jennifer Don

Chinatrust ( Philippines ) Commercial Bank Corporation
Leviste Branch
Direct Line: (632) 840-2508
Telefax No: (632) 840-2510
Website : www.chinatrust. com.ph

Lessons:

1. Do not talk to strangers and/or people who pretend to know you.

2. If you cannot recall the name of someone who pretends to know you, ask
him/her... and ask also where you have met; do not be shy or ashamed as this
will help you identify scammers. You may ask him/her also if he/she really knows
your full name -- there is a big chance he/she does not know it.
3. If you are not sure you know someone who approaches you, just smile and move
away quickly. If he/ she follows you, either say you are in a hurry or go to a
secure/ safe place, like where there are guards or policemen
4. If someone who pretends to know you asks for donation or financial help,
that's the surest sign that he/she is just out to dupe or fool you. Disengage
quickly and move away fast.
5. If you have time, report the incident to the Mall or Building Management
asap.



======================================================
HOMER NIEVERA Business Development. Social Media. Digital Marketing.
http://homernievera.net

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this....appreciate it. Will share.....

    ReplyDelete